Saturday, November 8, 2008

I'm Done With The Midterm...On to the next thing

First, let me say that I got an 83% and am very disappointed.  However, I wasn't surprised that I far surpassed the class average which was 65% on the test.  Second, thank goodness I paced myself during this timed 2 hour test because I had 25 seconds left on the clock when I finished in the nick of time.  

The midterm was a beast!  It was by far the worst I've ever seen as far as the exam questions are concerned.  I felt like I was being tested on how well I could look up the answers in my textbook (yes, this was an open book test) versus the actual material and content of which I've learned.  Some of the questions would pull direct quotes from the text.  Here is an example of how stupid the questions were: In the text, what part of the brain is considered the "entertainment center"?  This is ridiculous!  How about testing me on the various parts of the brain and their functions.  There is a nifty idea.  I am being tested on 250 pages of info, how in the world would I remember direct quotes?  There were even some questions where I found the answer in the book and the multiple choice answers were not even close to what the book stated.  I do not think we are being tested fairly, appropriately nor reasonably.  I think the class average says enough about the instructor.  The class average for the exam is in the 65 percentile and the class average for the class grade is around 78%.  Now, I have work double time to boost my grade back in the 90th percentile where it belongs.  

This is my first experience with an online college course and I am not impressed.  Between all of the technical difficulties to correct answers being marked in error as incorrect to these "bunk" exam questions.  It is almost worth the hassle of going to a lectured - physical class.  Next week, I am suppose to register for my next class.  I am debating which class and whether I should bother with the online version or not.  I think I may give the online thing one more chance since it would be overseen by another Instructor.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Sorry to say that lecture courses aren't always much better. I had a professor at UGA whose questions on the exams (not open book) would read like this, "What example did Dr. Pompous give to describe 'foreshadowing.'" Seriously. Still makes me mad, just thinking about it!