Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Studying, Studying and More Studying!

Most of my free time is consumed by reading, studying and taking quizzes for my Psychology class. It is exhausting to say the least. There are so many times I have kicked myself wondering why I did not finish college before having children? I am so happy I did wait merely because I am going to college for free. In MN and VA, where I previously lived, they did not have the scholarship programs that GA offers such as the HOPE Scholarship. I am actually quite blessed that I did wait because I have dodged the bullet of student loans.

I do all of my studying at night once the kids go to bed. I have to really balance my life right now because once the kids go to bed, that is my special time with my husband. I try to reserve a specific time for studying and then a specific time for hubby. Sometimes, I will study once my husband has gone off to bed. This works well for me because I have always been a night owl. I have the ability to sleep in...thankfully...because I am not a morning person. I resemble something from the Night of the Living Dead in the morning (prior to 8am).

I am taking this Psych class online. I was thinking this would be an easy A because I took a year long, advanced Psych course in high school. This is a subject that interests me and I have done well in the past. I was wrong on the easy part! This course is not easy. I have weekly deadlines to meet. For example, each week, we have to read 1-2 chapters which can vary between 50 - 100 pages. We have to take a timed quiz online for each module which means 6-16 quizzes per week. Last week and this week combined, I had 36 quizzes in total to take. The deadline is always Sunday night. I am assuming the heavy workload is because we don't have to sit in class lectures a couple times a week. I do love taking online courses because I can do the school work as my schedule permits and work around my schedule versus planning my schedule around school. So far I have not had any problems with meeting the deadlines. I am not a procrastinator so I have no problem with balancing my school workload. It's just a heck of a lot of work. I have learned quite a few interesting things thus far. For example, after you burn your tongue, it takes a week to 10 days for the complete development of new taste buds on your tongue.

This is all in addition to watching my children all day, being a Stay At Home Mom, working PT as an Office Manager at my mother in-law's office M-F afternoons, being a Homemaker by grocery shopping, cleaning, cooking, dishes, laundry, making play dates, taking my children and the dog to various appointments such as the Dr....the list goes on and on. Soon I will be adding more activities to our schedule. Alexis will be starting ballet again soon through ACC and also start Gym & Learn (Gymnastics & Pre-K). Yet I still manage to fit in time for fun. Such as quilting which is my newest hobby. I try to do a little each day. It's so relaxing and I love that it is an instant gratification hobby. I try to make time for Mom's Night out with the Moms from the Moms Group I attend. That is always guaranteed to be a good time. Weekends are family time. We do fun family oriented activities together usually on weekends. Some days I am more exhausted (like when Isabelle will occasionally wake up in the middle of the night hungry) than others but for the most part, I have finally found my balance. I enjoy being busy. I am very satisfied with how everything is going right now. Just thought I'd let you know.

No comments: